Can you really lose weight without dieting?
If there was a way to lose weight without all the pressure of dieting, would you try it? Have you ever actually tried to lose weight without dieting, without telling yourself you are on a diet?
The dieting industry is a multi billion dollar industry and every year there is a new fad diet to keep the money rolling in. If there was one miracle diet, wouldn’t everyone be on it and everyone be fit and healthy? Every day a diet is started, every day a diet is broken, weight is lost and weight is gained. Dieting’s making every one so unhappy and many people overweight.
Have you been hooked into this weight loss industry too? Answer the following question to determine whether you have fallen victim:
- In the past 12 months, have you purchased a tablet designed to help lose weight?
- Have you woken up on a Monday starting a new diet only to fail by the end of the week?
- Have you spent days dieting and all you think about is how hungry you are?
- Have you joined a gym but after seeing the hot, fit gym junkies, stopped attending?
- Have you started a diet in the past 12 months?
- Have you failed at a diet in the past 12 months?
- Have you lost weight, only to gain it when you started eating properly again?
- Have you wished there was a pill you could pop and make all your body fat melt away?
Most of these I have done in the past 12 months and yet, I continue to search for the perfect diet. The perfect diet is right in front of my face if I am patient and willing to give myself a break from all the pressure of the dieting industry. Here are 10 ways you can lose weight with dieting:
- Stop saying you are on a diet. This is an easy one if you really want to lose weight. Stop telling yourself you are on a diet because the word diet is often associated with ‘feeling hungry’ and eating foods that are not tasty. Tell yourself this is the way you are ALWAYS eating, allowing all foods in your diet, understanding what should be eaten in moderation.
- Drink a glass of water before every meal. Another easy one to help lose weight without dieting. Water is filling so having at least one glass before every meal helps to create that sensation of fullness. Build this up to at least 2 lt per day and your body will thank you for it.
- Don’t drink your calories – eat them. So many drinks are high in sugars, full of energy and will only satisfy for a short period of time. Avoid the so-called healthy shakes, fruit juices and of course soft drinks.
- Cut & chop in one session. Snacking is one of the major reasons people on a diet lose their way. The term snack is a small meal and often these snacks are eaten while on the run, so convenience plays a major part. To avoid the ‘dead calories’ of high sugar snacks, do all your snack preparation in one session. Cut and chop fresh vegetables and bag them separately, make small portions of nuts to eat on the run and have a variety of fresh fruit to pick from.
- Avoid eating after 8pm. This one is pretty logical, the closer to bed time you eat, the less chance you have of burning any of this food off before your body goes into sleep mode. If you have to eat late at night, pick a light snack as heavy foods in your stomach at night can cause sleep to be disrupted.
- Eat food slowly. Eating a meal should be an enjoyable experience, so give yourself permission to enjoy every mouthful. Food is a major part of life and feeling guilty for eating or racing through your food to avoid the guilt of eating has no benefit. By eating slowly, it allows the body to register a full sensation when it occurs and often helps in eating less at every meal.
- Don’t skip breakfast. Breakfast gets the metabolism started for the day and can be the kick start your body needs to lose weight. Avoiding breakfast often results in either over indulging at lunch or searching for those quick, sugary snacks to fill the void of hunger.
- Get quality sleep. Research shows a lack of sleep increases the appetite as the appetite-controlling hormones are strongly linked to quality of sleep. If you find that you eat well but the weight will not shift, look into the quality of sleep you are getting every night. Try to avoid drinking alcohol, eating heavy foods, watching TV late at night and working (or playing) on iPhones/iPads etc as all of these attribute to poor sleep.
- Exercising is a daily essential. Not only do you get the benefit of feeling healthy when you exercise, but exercising releases happy endorphins and when you are feeling good about yourself, it becomes easier to lose weight without dieting. The level of exercise depends on the individual but aim to do something everyday.
- Treat yourself. All work and no play makes for a boring (and often unhappy) person. Treat yourself everyday if that is what motivates you, but only one treat. If you love chocolate, allow a little chocolate in your diet. If you like a glass of red wine, then allow for it. Understand that to lose weight without dieting means this is your NEW way of eating – and treating yourself has to be part of your new way of eating.
Linking up with Essentially Jess for #teamIBOT