When life gets you down, there are two choices:
- Allow life to drag you under, falling deeper into negativity or
- Pull yourself up, doesn’t matter how fast or slow you go, so long as the positive begins to outweigh the negative.
Easier said than done sometimes I know but it is the only way to enjoy the one life you are given. There is nothing wrong with feeling sorry for yourself sometimes. There is nothing wrong with hating life sometimes. There is nothing wrong with begin too negative sometimes. It is only wrong if that is the only way you live life.
Here are 5 things to help you get through when life gets you down:
- Try to focus on what is going right in your life. When life is getting you down, it can be difficult to see anything that is good. The options here are endless and can seem insignificant but when you change your focus, it just might make life seem a little better. Some ideas of what maybe right could be a flowering garden, a certificate your child received, an organised week, a lost kilo, a gained kilo, a successful mealtime or even a special conversation with a loved one.
- Focus on what you can control and stop worry about what you can’t. When life gets you down and you feel like everything is spiralling out of control, bring your energy back to what you can control, no matter how minor it is. You can’t control that your boss hates you but you can control your attitude to your boss. You can’t control that your child has a learning disability but you can control the help you give to your child.
- Ask for help. Go on try it. It is not as scary as you think. We try to surround ourselves with caring people and these people, if given the chance, want to be able to help you out when life gets you down. How many times have you told a friend weeks later that you have been struggling with life, only to hear them respond ‘what didn’t you tell me’ I’m here to help.’
- For change to occur, you need to take that first step. Have the courage to take charge of your life and make a small change. It doesn’t have to be a grand gesture and even the littlest of changes has a flow on effect. If you are down because of your weight, walk that extra mile. If you are down about your job, simply start writing a resume. If you are down because your child is being bullied, teach them little ways of coping and building a defensive wall. You have a say in your future, you just need to believe it.
- Surround yourself with people who are HEALTHY for you. We all need different things from people at different times in our lives. You need to decide what it is you need and then find the people who can give it to you. If a person is not healthy for you, if they are not helping you grow, then maybe you need to let them go for a while. If they are meant to stay in your life, they will return.