Have you ever looked around at friends and wondered why some friendships work and others fail miserably? What is the secret to being the perfect friend or the perfect friendship?
Over the weekend I spent the day with a group of friends I have known for over 30 years. The only difference from our friendships 30 years ago is the addition of partners. This friendship group includes my brother as we grew up being only a year apart and over time our friendships have merged.
We do not get the chance to catch up all the time but catching up with these friends is just easy. I love these friends and we always have an amazing time together, without any issues. These are long-lasting, true friendships and it made me think about the secret of being the perfect friend.
7 secrets to being the perfect friend:
- Be a good listener. There is a big difference between hearing your friend talk and actually listening to what they are saying.
- Give your honest opinion. As hard as it is sometimes to be honest, especially when you know it is not what they want to hear.
- Always be trustworthy. This is a person who opens up their heart and soul to you, allow them to do it knowing you can forever be trusted.
- Secrets go to the grave. If you have promised to never tell, then never tell (and that means anyone).
- Respect their opinion. Close friends often think alike, however when your opinions differ, respect what they are feeling and move on.
- Time apart doesn’t weaken the friendship. You know each other so well that time apart can often make you closer as what you have is real.
- Remember we all make mistakes. A perfect friend (at least in your eyes) still makes mistakes or doesn’t always notice when you really need them.
I am not sure I actually have a ‘perfect friend’ but I know I have many other these:
7 secrets to being a maybe not so perfect friend but a great friend
So what kind of friend are you – the perfect friend or simply a great friend?