Today is the first day of spring and a time to not only spring clean your house but a time to spring clean your attitude. I will be up front and admit that I hate winter. Just look at a couple of desperate posts on Instagram I put this year:
The cold weather means you spend more time inside, with the heater on and I find this alters my attitude to life big time. So today, I am going to begin to spring clean my attitude.
I’m going to stop my negative thoughts about how much I hate winter.
I’m going to wake up every morning with a positive attitude towards the day ahead instead of dreading feeling cold to my core.
I’m going to give my children a little more patience, something which seems to slowly disappear in winter.
I’m going to reward myself daily if I stick to my attitude adjustment.
I’m going start to enjoy life once again.
I suffer from the winter blues where lack of sunshine slowly chips away at my mood until all I want to do is hibernate. This is not something I like about myself but something I know happens every year. I become negative. I become sombre. Everything seems so much harder.
This year I am writing myself a guide to spring clean my attitude so next year, I can look back and start the process a little earlier:
- Slow Down – with the demands of a family, work, friends and family, each days passes in a haze of exhaustion. Start the day with a few deep breaths, picture what the day has for you but schedule in a little time for yourself to simply sit quietly with your own company.
- Spring Clean a room – when the environment around you feels organised, tidy and without clutter, this can help your mind feel organised, tidy and clutter free too. If the thought of spring cleaning the entire house is too daunting (and that is how I feel at the moment), set a goal to spring clean a room per week.
- Let Resentment Go – holding onto hatred or deep negativity only darkens the mind and makes it difficult to see the positive side. Let go of these feelings. You are in control and the only person who resentment hurts is you.
- Give back to society – Each day for the first week of spring, pick something you know you can live without and give it to a charity. There is someone who needs it more than you do and the feeling of importance or love or self-esteem you can pass onto someone else will aid in your spring clean.
- Move away from Toxic Relationships – as the heaviness of winter arrives, so too does lack of resilience, increasing toxic relationships. You deserve to treat yourself better than that so let these relationships go. Make that change for yourself and slowly see how you feel about yourself improve.
- Smile – this is the only way to convince your brain that you are happy and want to stay happy. And it works.
Happy spring everyone and I hope you have the most amazing day.
How do you spring clean your attitude?