Recently I wrote A Letter to my daughters so naturally I had to also write a letter to my sons.
When I wrote to my girls, it was a mixture of how I grew up, how I spent my young adult years and how I would like to see them as beautiful grown women. The letter I have written to my sons comes from a mixture of how I wished I was treated growing up by some boys, how I was (and still am) treated by my husband and how I want my handsome boys to grow into men.
Dear Jackson & Flynn,
I never expected to finish off my family with two beautiful boys. I thought I had this parenting job down pat after having two girls and there was not much more I could learn about being a good mum. I was wrong – so very wrong. You boys taught me how to be a better mum, one that could now see all sides of the equation. You showed me just how deeply a little boy could feel and how much love a growing boy could share with the world. It was because of you that I started to relax with my parenting and now I feel I am a stronger mother and a wiser one (just a little anyway). The love of have for you two handsome souls is more than you could ever imagine and it grows stronger every day (except when you are punching each other).
Here are a few life tips I would like to share with you in a letter to my sons:
- You are a kind person with a big heart and this will always help you make good decisions
- In life, nothing lasts forever, so remember this and letting will not seem as hard.
- Don’t be hard on yourself when you think you have made the wrong decision – life is a learning experience.
- Don’t believe in luck. If you work hard and have a good work ethic, I know will go places.
- Always treat a woman as you would like someone to treat your sister.
- Surround yourself with some amazing friends who will support you in life, including your emotional support.
BoysMen are emotional people too, allow yourself to feel these emotions as it will ultimately make a stronger person.
- You do not need to be good at sport to be a man.
- Choose a partner who has a kind heart and do not just follow your penis. If you are kind but it is not reciprocated, walk away.
- Your mental health is SO important, and please please never be afraid to ask for help.
- Keep communication open with those you love and care for. Sometimes talking is the only way to make life clearer.
- When you get older and leave my house, please keep calling me, texting me and popping over to see me as you will always be my little boys.
- Finally – Remember I will always have your back and will love you no matter what life throws at you.
I love you handsome boys and want only the best for you both. Look out for each as you grow older and never forget that you are special people and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.
Love you to the moon and back
Linking up with Essentially Jess as part of the #IBOT team