Are you a mother without boys?
Let me first start off by saying – I have both sexes, 2 girls and 2 boys. My girls are the older kids but all 4 of my kids are pretty close in age so I can remember when the girls were younger. I’m noticing some unusual stuff when I head out with the boys lately and this often comes from a mother without boys.
Facts about MOST boys that a mother without boys may not know:
- Boys struggle to sit still for very long. This includes BIG boys too.
- Boys will laugh at any noise your body makes.The more embarrassing the better.
- Boys can be shy too and it’s not a sign that they are rude.
- When boys fight with their friends, they tend to get over it pretty quickly, often by adding a ball into the situation.
- Older boys just stink – yes all the time.
- Boys love noise – the louder the better and they don’t do it to intentionally annoy people.
- Boys cannot keep their hands off each other – whether it is shit stirring or wrestling, it’s part of playing.
- Boys don’t intentionally wake up and think they will annoy the crap out of you.
- Boys secretly hate letting you down.
Now we understand a few facts about boys (both little and big), let’s look at boys out playing. Many times I notice a mother without boys think their girls are always in the right when it comes to playing. When my girls were little, I was one of these mothers, thinking that boys were at fault and often just a down right pain in the arse. As if my daughter would have said that or why would he do that to my daughter or there is no way she started it.
I WAS WRONG – oh so wrong.
Some questions to ponder when you are out with a group of children:
- If a child comes back crying to the parents, does every mother with a boy think “hope it wasn’t my boy who made the child cry.”
- If that same child is crying, does every mother with girls think, “which boy did that?”
- If things appear chaotic, do you immediately think the boys need to settle down?
Sometimes, this is the case but not as often as you think.
MY GIRLS WERE ( & STILL ARE) FAR FROM PERFECT.
If I look back to when my girls were little there was always lots of little bitchiness happening (something boys don’t do). Girls were always very quick to say “No, you can’t join in this game” (something boys don’t do). Girls were a lot more pedantic about how a game was run and what the rules are (something boys don’t usually do).
I am not having a go at girls (as mentioned earlier I have 2 and I love spending time with them) but for all the mothers out there without boys, THEY PLAY DIFFERENTLY and that is OK. It is not always the boys fault when something goes wrong. It is not always the boys who cause a stir when they are playing in a group. It is not always the boys who should be blamed.
Yes boys are often noisy.
Yes boys are often very physical.
Yes boys often cannot sit still.
And Yes boys can be little shits.
BUT please remember to every mother without boys and to every mother with boys, each child is precious in the parents eyes, so always be wary of that. Most kids are genuinely good kids and are only out to have a little fun. Stop pigeon holing our boys just like we are trying to stop pigeon holing our girls.
Signing out from a mother with boys (& girls)