I must confess it has been a few years since I was in high school, and most of my memories are good ones. I attended 4 schools growing up, 2 primary and 2 secondary schools. This weekend, one of my high schools was having our 25 year (OMG I hate actually admitting this) reunion. This was the first high school I attended so I wasn’t keen to go because I wasn’t there until the end. After lots of Facebook messages, and me umming and ahhhing, I finally decided to go.
It wasn’t that I disliked these girls (it was an all girls school) and it isn’t like I am shy and couldn’t make a conversation, I just felt like I didn’t really belong here. This is some of the things going through my head:
- I will not recognise anyone
- No one will recognise me
- I am so bad with names already, can’t even image picking someones name I haven’t seen in 25 years.
- What if they have all kept in contact and are still friends, I will be the loser in the corner
- What if I was a bitch to them at school and they hate me
- What if it was a joke and they never wanted me to come in the first place
Going back to a school you attended 25 years ago is pretty scary. It did bring back some painful memories but it also brought back some beautiful women I use to hang around with and with that, some wonderful memories. As I walked around and chatted with everyone, I felt very much at ease, never once feeling left out or unwelcome. I will probably not see 99% of these ladies again until the next reunion but I was happy I sucked up my nerves, put myself out there to be rejected and had a wonderful time.
When have you put yourself in a situation where you could have been rejected, but you knew you needed to be there?