What are you doing – surviving or living?
I wake each day and ask myself – “Am I surviving or living my life?”
In my teenage years, I was surviving my life. Every day was a struggle with self-confidence and self-worth. My outer shell showed confidence and my words screamed power. Internally I couldn’t understand why I was not good enough for my family, for my friends but especially for myself. I was surviving.
In my twenties I started living, heading overseas and experiencing the world for all its beauty, its amazement and its inspiring attractions. I never understood that living my life meant that I needed to accept myself – my whole self and love who I was. Every mirror was my judgement and this meant I spent more years surviving that actually living.
By the time I hit my thirties I thought I had life sorted out. I was a mum to four healthy children, kicking arse in the parenting arena. I had started my first business with a sister and our customers loved us. Life was sweet – at least that’s what I let the world see. No one saw my darkness as I wouldn’t let anyone in, maybe to protect myself or maybe to protect them. I still had so much self-doubt and I don’t know why. Surviving or living??
It wasn’t until the clock ticked over and my age was led by the number four that I finally altered my perception of myself. I realised I had changed over the past three decades and I was worthy of being happy. It was time to start living my life and not just surviving. I had wasted too many years worrying what other people thought about me. I had been so consumed with body image that I never realised just how beautiful I really was, especially on the inside. I had punished my body and mind when I should have been rewarding it for all the wonderful things it had achieved.
I am over just surviving my life, my marriage, my children, my work and my friends. I am choosing to live instead.
- I have a logical mind and an empathic heart – and I love it.
- I have a beautiful body with the perfect combination of wobbly bits & not so wobbly bits – and I love it.
- I am a woman who is proud – and I love it.
- I am a wife who cannot cook but can share a mean wine and lots of laughs with my hubby – and I love it.
- I am a loyal friend who wears her heart on her sleeve but I think my true friends are worth it – and I love it.
- I am a shit hot mum who gets it wrong often, swears a little too much but has such an amazing connection with all my children – and I love it.
It’s time to let go of the past and the things that you did wrong. It’s time to live in the present and cherish all the beauty that surrounds you. It’s time to believe in your future as you have the control to stop just surviving your life and start living it.
Are you surviving or living??
Linking up with Kylie Purcell for #teamIBOT