To me world of blogging is second nature, but to many of my friends, it is foreign territory. I work on my blog everyday, not necessarily writing a new post but always something. Some days I get up early to join a #linkup, while other days I stay up late to comment on other bloggers posts. I thought I would enlighten my non blogging friends on my other world as many of them would enjoy the amazing online community that never sleeps.
What is a blog?
- A diary or journal entry updated regularly
- a discussion or information website published online with entires ( or posts) listed in chronological order.
- a website you can post stuff on.
Who is blogging?
- People who own websites and keen to share tips or business ideas
- Someone who shares news, gossip, fashion, anything really in the most personal way possible.
What are blogs about?
- Anything and everything
- personal stuff, fashion, beauty, humour, raising children, raising animals, sometimes even nothing (like in the Seinfeld episode where they wrote a pilot about NOTHING)
Why do people blog?
- to share their lives with others
- to share their expertise
- to make money (I’m still waiting for this part)
- for a communication outlet
- for therapy
A day in the life of a blogger
- Wake up check new comments on blog post, Instagram likes, Pinterest repins, Facebook shares, Twitter retweets, new email subscriptions and Google+ circles
- Reply to comments on blog.
- Post a new quote on Instagram and link it to Facebook page
- Pin a new picture to favourite Pinterest board
- Reply to comments on Facebook page
- Favour any retweets on Twitter account
- Follow any new followers on Twitter
- Get excited about new email subscribers by dancing around computer
- Check google analytics to find out what your follows are up to
- Brainstorm ideas for a new blog post
- Comment on a couple of bloggers posts
- #linkup with favourite links
- Re-check any new comments on blog post, Instagram likes, Pinterest repins, Facebook shares, Twitter retweets, new email subscriptions and Google+ circles
- Celebrate at new comments on post – reply quickly as they may have posted comment a couple of hours ago (the attention span in the blogging world is short)
- Post a new picture on Instagram and link it to Facebook page
- Pin another new picture to a different Pinterest board
- hopefully new comments (or better yet shares) on Facebook page, reply to everything to increase reach
- Retweet some of your favourite tweets hoping to grow your audience on Twitter
- Follow new bloggers and comment and keep fingers crossed they re-follow you
- Stand in shock as you check new email subscribers as you have another one – woohoo
- Check google analytics to spy on your followers even more – is there anyone actually on your blog?
- Research and begin writing your posts for the week
- Comment on a few more bloggers amazing posts….
- Last check on any new comments on blog post, Instagram likes, Pinterest repins, Facebook shares, Twitter retweets, new email subscriptions and Google+ circles
- More comments on post – excited but getting exhausted, follow up with short responses as we love our fans and want them to stay
- Post again on Instagram and link it to Facebook page, making sure you have liked many other pictures through out the day to share the love
- Pin another new picture to a different Pinterest board and start madly repining from other boards to build fan base
- Feel day has been good as had a couple of shares on Facebook page – yes your fans do like what you are doing. Only fair to share back so spend time re-sharing.
- Head to Hootsuite to set up your tweets for the next few days and Facebook posts. Don’t forget to retweet a few followers while you are there
- Go to Mailchimp to work on sending out an awesome email to your loyal email subscribers.
- Check google analytics and watch ‘real time’ to see who is on your site
- Write at least one post, including many great links, pictures from Flickr and references to other sites
- Comment on a few more bloggers as your eyes begin to shut
- Go to bed with your phone next to you, ready to get up and do it all again
Don’t be scared if you do not understand everything written above, just an insite to all the work getting one post up and ready. This simple touches on what many bloggers do and it is all for fun (well most of it). There are some amazing reads out there and they personal, honest and keep you coming back for more. No longer is information only spread and controlled by the newsroom or media. WE (that includes bloggers and readers) now control what we want to hear about. If you are sick of being spoon fed by major corporations, start to follow a few bloggers you like and get the real information.
To follow a blogger is easy too.
You can either sign up to be an email subscriber here,
or follow on twitter here,
or like a Facebook page here,
or follow a pinterest board here,
or follow Instagram here.
You never have comment on posts but comments are always encouraged. You never have like a post or picture but liking is a way of sharing the love. I am making it even easier for you to join the blogging world my non blogging friends, as I have a list of some fantastic bloggers I follow and always come up with a range of great topics. Go on, give it a go and have a look at a few, follow a few and see what you think.
Linking up with Essentially Jess for #IBOT